We give high priority to merging IPv6 functionality to the BSD
variants by March 2004. We may implement new features, however, will
not merge them to the BSD variants since they might be unstable.
Here are features to be merged to the BSD variants:
- Advanced API (waiting for RFC)
- Default Address Selection (RFC 3484)
- Code clean up for ip6_mroute.c (to be implemented)
- MIP6 CN (see MIP6)
- IGMPv3 (see SSM)
Here are working items:
- RFC3376 for IGMPv3 is ready but API for IGMPv3 is a draft. So,
need to wait.
MLDv2 is a draft. Thus, can't merge.
- Need to consider framework (libc vs daemon).
Waiting for RFC.
- Scoped routing
- The remaining work is to integrate the scope architecture to
routing table. Since site-local is likely to be deprecated,
however, we can't see advantages against the expected heavy
work. Also, the change would cause compatibility issue, we
need to discuss with the BSD community if this can be
accepted. We'll continue to work on this in the KAME snap for
the moment as well as having the discussion. Once the course
of the action is determined, the snap code will be cleaned up
- X Window System
- We made an IPv6 patch for XFree86. However, X.org now has
implemented its own IPv6 code and it will be available soon.
So, we won't merge our patch to X.
- VRRP6 was implemented but removed due to IPR issue with VRRP6.
- MIP6 CN should be merged. Waiting for RFC.
MN and HA are pending due to dirty code clean up
- ESPv3 and AH revise are now draft. Need to catch up when RFC
will be published.
- We had planed to implement and to merge a KMP which would be
light weight and would be simple. But IKEv2 is now going to
be RFC and it is more complex protocol than we expected. We
have a plan to implement it. However, we will not merge it
though it will be provided by KAME snap.
- Router Selection
- Standardization status is unclear. We want to merge
router-preference flag. But a draft covers other features
including route-information option and router load balance.
- ISATAP was implemented but removed due to IPR issue.
- ICMPv6 name lookup
- Waiting for RFC. Need to consider framework like mDNS.
- DNS server discovery
- Waiting for RFC.
- The code is already quite mature and inter-operable. Once the
specification becomes an RFC, we'll merge it to the BSD
- Need more tests.